Sunday, September 14, 2008

Another Funeral

Two days after my Uncle Brian's funeral my dad called to tell me my Uncle Aidan passed away early that morning. He was kicking cancer's butt but his heart couldn't take all the chemotherapy medicine and gave out Saturday morning. I will miss him.
Let me just share a few things about my Uncle Aidan. He was an extraordinary man in so many ways. Most of my father's brothers were a little on the hairy side but my Uncle Aidan had a hair sweater and I grew up thinking that this was normal. It wasn't until I was a teenager that I realized that having a hair sweater was not so cool. I still prefer a hairy chest to a bare chest but hairy shoulders... not so much. But my Uncle was always cool to me, and he was by far the funniest uncle in my entire family. He had the patience of Job and in all the years I have known him I never once saw him mad. He had the best laugh. Even when I talked to him from his hospital bed last year right after he had brain surgery he was cracking jokes and made me laugh. The world is a sadder place without him. But I am better for knowing him and loving him. With tears running down my face I ask myself why am I so sad? I know that this life isn't all there is and he is free of pain. I know he lived a life that was full of love and kindness therefore his reward in Heaven will be great. I cry because he won't be able to love and play with his grandchildren the way he was there for me when I was little and later for my boys. I cry because my girls never got to know him. My father has lost 2 of his baby brothers in a 2 week span...he is the eldest and not prepared for all of this. All in all he has lost 4 of his siblings, three brothers and a sister. I can't imagine losing one of my sisters.
This week has been very busy even in my world it would be considered crazy busy and I became a little like Scarlet O'Hara with pushing off those things I didn't want to deal with by saying I will deal with that tomorrow...tomorrow is another day. You know those days when you want to crawl back in bed and just curl up but your life won't let you do it, kids need to be fed and there are things that have to get done so you can't fall apart today, maybe tomorrow. Tomorrow has arrived and I will miss my uncles. My heart breaks for the families left behind trying to deal with the grief without the gospel. I have peace knowing Heavenly Father's plan and know that I will see them again and we will laugh again. Still I think I will crawl back in bed and cry for awhile.
One L

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm so sorry for your loss chel. it's good to have happy memories, but it takes time to work through the loss of someone we love. grief is work and i am a firm subscriber of crawling under the covers when necessary.
prayers and loving thoughts are on their way.
love you,
nancy

Elise said...

Its never easy to loose loved ones. I'm so sorry you have to go through this all at once. I hope you and your family can find happiness in your loving memories of your uncles.

Tyson and Rachelle said...

Hey, I didn't know about the deaths in your family. I am so sorry Michele!