Monday, September 21, 2009

Capital Trip

We went to Washington DC last weekend and it was quite the experience. The no parking thing made me a little crazy for a bit but eventually I got over it and enjoyed walking 6 miles around DC with my sweet family especially the little girl who complained the entire time about her sore feet!!


Eating was expensive but fun...we had to walk everywhere so by the end of the day we settled for something close to the hotel, and for once in my life I wasn't in the mood for Chinese!
Some things we had to do a driveby because of some marathon going on and the roads were closed and after one day of marathon walking I wasn't up to it again the next morning.
The Lincoln Memorial was the one thing I was super excited to see...it was just as magnificent in person. I especially enjoyed the quotes on either side of the statue.

But Cory and my favorite site was the World War memorial...we cried...so many lives given to keep the world free...the quotes were so moving.
The girl's favorite part was spending time with daddy...especially when he whacked them with the hotel pillows!
Here are the girls at the beginning of our tour of the city looking pretty happy and excited to see all the sites. Unfortunately we picked the weekend when there was a march re: Taxes...so it was a bit tense at times with people with bull horns yelling stuff at the White House...but I was impressed everyone used appropriate language and they were all polite and well behaved. Now that is my kind of protester! I get all uncomfortable when protesters get in your face and you think if they knew you didn't agree with them they might hurt you.
The museums were great...Cory loved the air and space one the most. The girls love the natural history one mostly because of the gems...they just love all the shiny jewels! Its all about the bling!
This a picture of the girls just before we left for home...they were sooooo done!

Of course any trip to Washington would be incomplete without seeing the Temple...magnificent!
Well that is our trip in a big nutshell!
Love
One L

6 comments:

JoDell said...

How fun! DC is such a great place to visit. We love living so close to the nation's capitol. There is always so much more to see than you have time for. I agree that the parking is horrific! BUT, it's worth it. :) Good thing you met with peaceful protestors. It's not always that way! Glad you guys had fun--cute pictures, too!

Pitcherpost said...

I loved all of the trips I took to DC. it is definitely a walk-a-thon trip though! That's what sticks out in my mind the most, how tired my feet were at the end of each day!

Tyson and Rachelle said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! I love the pic of you and Cory in front of the temple! Sweet!

nancy said...

dc, how exciting!! i know this 3 year separation has been difficult, but i think the opportunity you have had to live in the area where this country had it's beginning is such a blessing.
someday when have this wonderful opportunity, i know i will be teary-eyed all the time! the memorials honoring our founding fathers and those who have died to preserve our freedoms...all such sacred places. how could one not be emotional?! thanks for sharing! =)

Brooklet said...

I, too, love DC but it does always equal tired feet! Your girls are so lucky to be able see all that. I had to wait until i was 25.

Bigelow Family said...

Oh how I loved going to the DC temple. So beautiful . Iove how you can see it from the freeway--bam and there it is. Although harder to find than it looks. Glad you got to do the DC trip before you head back west. Some parts of living there I do really miss,which I never thought I would be saying!